3DCoat Forums
  1. General

1. Announcements

This area contains official announcements from the Pilgway team

3. New Releases, Bugs Reports & Development Discussion

This is a section of the forum specifically for final and beta releases and discussing new developments. Also to report any new bug found.

1. General 3DCoat

Discussions related to 3DCoat, and also share ideas for improving the program.

This subforum covers some typical workflows in 3DCoat, and how they involved the different workspaces/toolsets in the application.

SDK, scripts & plugins development. If you want to create or share custom scripts & plugin(s) for 3DCoat, you can find the information here to do so.

4. SOS! If you need urgent help for 3DCoat

Any urgent matter that needs to be dealt with as soon as possible

1. CG & Hardware Discussion

CG meeting area. General Discussion, News, films, games discussions, etc.

Have a Brush, Stencils, Smart Materials, Shaders, Extension, etc. you'd like to share ?
      Post it here !

1. 275

• Basically, the idea is to have a higher resolution for decals by having overlapping the UVs. (Yes this would be incompatible with things like bakings lights/ambient occlusion. Those things are handled by the rendering engine.) Is there a way to create and maintain sets of overlapping UVs? As it is now it seems like I have to manually move the islands to be overlapping and avoid unwrapping after this has been done. Is there an automated way to pack UVs that are already overlapping?  
    • I repost the link to Taros's video tutorial on " How to start to painting outside mesh borders" What that means is that you can start your paint stroke outside the mesh and when the stroke hits the mesh, the paint is applied... The object is not rotated.     
    • Texel Density really means a lot more than what you described, as it exceeds the needs to have uniformly scaled shells inside one object or across several sub-ojects of one particular, individual asset. The topic gets a bit more complicated when applied across a whole scene or even an entire games world. Hence, Maya, Max, Modo, Blender, they ALL have tools for this. Blender has several plugins even, all great. The example you gave of a Characters face vs head vs body is a most basic (albeit good) example of what dealing with Texel Density entails. Thanks for giving the lesson, but this is not really related to what the thread is actually asking. It's asking about actual, real Texel Density Tools, not a way to only eyeball your shells in relation to the resolution of a Texture. I also do not see how Smart Materials would have anything to do with Texel Density Tools. My point in all of this is that they user already has a fair amount of control over Texel Density There is no fair amount of Texel Density Control in 3D Coat as of now. Just basic shell scaling, equalizing, and maximum UV coverage packing. All of this does NOT take Texel Density into account, at all. Either by changing the map size or scaling the UV shells in 3DCoat as needed.  No, and No. This gives a user no control over an actual desired Texel Density. Texel Density is the relation of an objects physical surface size in a world to the amount of Texels used on a texture of a certain resolution. What you describe here gives users zero control over actually working with a desired Texel Density per unit. It's merely the most basic functionality to adjust UV coverage and distribution. A real control over Texel Density lets you apply a certain amount of Texels per unit (e.g. meters). Not only fiddle with Island size inside one Asset. There is NO way in 3D Coat to apply or measure a certain Texel Density like 256²px per meter. Or is there? Even tho you yourself maybe do not see any need for it, doesn't mean other users don't. If you wanna educate yourself on the basics of this subject in a game development context, I suggest getting a copy of this as a start, and you will probably see how much more complicated this topic is than you assumed and hence why users ask for this. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qbOqP
    • can you explain in a more understandable way?
    • If you take a closer look at toggles inside the Camera > Customize Navigation window, you'll notice that you can disable certain events. For camera rotation around a pick point or object, it can be NAVI_ZB or Rotate in Screen Space.
    • This bug happened several times when I was using mirror and Vox Hide. It became like this when I applied to global space.
    • Sorry, I don't think it's perfect. I want to use 3dcoat to realize refraction art (conceptual art of glass artwork) with real-time modification of transparent materials. The current 3dcoat cannot support my attempt at all. The main problem focuses on the superposition of specular reflection and transparent materials
    • When I draw textures, the camera accidentally rotates, is it possible to lock the current view while working? I would be very grateful to the community for their help.
    • Moonray is only for Linux //edit At the moment Moonray is only available for Docker containers and CentOs-7, you can read more information about this in their official documentation
    • Headset/Earbuds: ZMF Caldera Closed Planar Magnetic Headphones Review - TechPowerUp. Monitor/Projector: Gigabyte Aorus CO49DQ OLED gaming monitor review - PC Gamer. Mouse: ThundeRobot ML903 NearLink Review - TechPowerUp. SSD: Corsair MP700 Pro SE SSD review- New and improved - Tom's Hardware.  CPU/GPU/AIO/SSD Cooler: Bykski CPU-XPR-C-I CPU Water Block Review - Amazing Value! - TechPowerUp. Mini PC: MINISFORUM Venus NAB9 Core i9-12900HK Mini PC - Guru3D. Monitor/Projector: Gigabyte Aorus CO49DQ OLED gaming monitor review - PC Gamer. SSD: Corsair MP700 Pro SE 4 TB Review - TechPowerUp.
    • You should read my previous posts more carefully, so that you don't hear what I didn't say. Nobody said the Render engine would be free to Pilgway, nor that it would cost millions. You didn't read what I just said in my post that you quoted, either. The company who made the offer would not be paying one of their developers to create a plugin...which is the normal protocol. In this case, Pilgway would assume the responsibility for integrating the render engine. That is one reason why their offer is much more feasible and reasonable. The Current render engine falls short in many ways, and Renderman Integration, while free for Non-Commercial use, would cost the user another $500, and is not integrated inside 3DCoat to where the Interactive CPU or GPU render works. It will crash a relatively heavy scene (Sculpt Workspace), has no Shadow Catching Material functionality (nor does 3DCoat's native render engine), so rendering with an HDRI environment leaves the object floating in the air. It also will only render one UV set. If your model has multiple UV's, forget rendering it in Renderman. For this option to be more fully integrated, I think Pixar and 3DCoat would need some kind of contractual agreement, which they currently do not.
    • I think I'm hitting bugs or I'm losing my mind. I booted it up just now. And it works just as you described. I think I was doing something else in 3dcoat in another tab. Perhaps something with stroke. If I come across it again I'll try to document it with a video. I do apologize if this is just me missing the mark.