3DCoat Forums

Trees generator

Andrew Shpagin

It sounds like a joke, but it is serious :)

In general I am making 3D-Coat whole time :) But recently I have remembered that there are some hidden features :) A year ago I have written trees generator. It can be activated by replacing one string in config.txt in current 3D-Coat installation (read there). But for convenience I have made separate installation in half of hour. It is there.

www.3d-coat.com/files/3d-Coat-2-trees.exe

It is free to everyone who has purchaced 3D-Coat. At least for some time (maybe it will cost something when I will make rich export functions and make it white&furry).

It is not very user-friendly, but anyway, easy enough. It is not 100% made, sometimes I will update it if you will like it.

Enjoy!

There is screenshot:

post-1-1208528077_thumb.jpg

*edit: I have updeted the link, now it has correct export functions.

- Export for games - exports leafs as a random planes. To use in game you should convert it to your own format and rendar billboards to look at camera

- export for render - contains 6x more random billboards

mtl file and textures are also exported.

In general it is serious app, there is many competetive options:

1) deleting invisible faces inside parent root

2) branches can grow not only directly under some angle like in SpeedTre but starts from tangent direction and follows with random angle in some direction

3) roots like a kind of branches

4) adaptive simplification of branches in dependence on curvature (not a simple equidistant sampling like it is usually done)

5) possibility to use multiple leafs types on the one tree (most of generators use single leaf clone).

5) generating LOD-s

• Like 3

Andrew;

The tree generator is very cool. When I have time to study it a bit more. Off hand I did not see a way to rotate and move it. I did purchase a tree generator a while back and it was a bit expensive, wish I had known about your generator. I know 3D Coat is your and our primary program, but completing this may be another source of income.

Thank You, you are the man

Chuck

Wow, very very cool indeed!

You make software development look so easy...

Would be a worthy product to develop by itself(although 3dCoat has a larger audience of course)

(One question though, how does the saving work exactly?

There is an auto-save button, but where does it save?)

Nevermind, found it, in the "models" folder in het programfolder.

Doesn't save it with textures though. And what are C2M files?

One extra feature would be really neat, especially for LW users, to be able to export it with morphs for the leaves, don't know if it's possible though.

The wind effect in the program works really well for realism.

Edit 1: okay, found it

Edit 2: added C2M question.

• Advanced Member

That's sweet!

I haven't thought this out, but does anyone else think an integration with 3d-Trees and 3D-Coat would be a good idea? Similar to the 3DC and Photoshop (or external editor) link. Maybe the initial 3DC start-up screen could have a"tree" icon in addition to the one's already present.

I can see generating a tree and throwing it back to 3DC for some sculpting/painting etc. Of course this can already be done via export/import, but it seems to me it would be pretty cool doing the whole thing without leaving 3DC.

Paint on leaves in 3DC? :rolleyes: Maybe in the future leaves and grasses can be generated by the new hair/fiber system?

..... and then a rock or stone generator :)

I have updated the link. Please re-download it. I have add correct export options and corrected artifacts on roots.

- Export for games - exports leafs as a random planes. To use in game you should convert it to your own format and rendar billboards to look at camera

- export for render - contains 6x more random billboards

mtl file and textures are also exported. It is interesting how it looks rendered.

BTW, for games there are lod-s options

In general it is serious app, there is many competetive options:

1) deleting faces inside parent root

2) branches can grow not only directly under some angle like in SpeedTre but starts from tangent direction and follows with random angle in some direction

3) roots like a kind of branches

4) adaptive simplification of branches in dependence on curvature (not a simple equidistant sampling like it is usually done)

5) generating LOD-s

(I have add this list to first post)

This is just awesome, cool tool. I think it should be called 3D Tree.

A feature request for LW users, if you could make it possible to export an object with a point in the center of every leaf billboard that we could use as a referance for cloning the billboard in LW. That's the only way for us to make every billboard to face the camera.

Thanks for another great tool.

• Advanced Member
I have updated the link, please re-download. Also, I have made render export like yukon_28 has told (2 intersected billboard).

Also, 3DC progress does not suffer because of TG, it takes a minutes to make simple changes. Now I am hard working over uv-tweaking in uv-view window.

Great! Andrew,but I still insist that painting on UV map in 2D view and feedback on 3d view is the most expected features.

Great! Andrew,but I still insist that painting on UV map in 2D view and feedback on 3d view is the most expected features.

About painting in 2D: I plan to make it in more general way, so that it will be possible to use 3DC not only to paint in uv-plane, but even like 2D image editor even instead of expensive PS.

• Advanced Member

Wooooo!That is so coooool! Andrew,I admit,I am a fanatical worshipper of you! I come to this forum every day only to find what you have done and plan to do for 3dc.In fact,I don't use 3dc in any commercial work . I am so strange why you can make such a big apps only by yourself,which should be made by a corporation,a group of developers.

• Advanced Member
Wooooo!That is so coooool! Andrew,I admit,I am a fanatical worshipper of you! I come to this forum every day only to find what you have done and plan to do for 3dc.In fact,I don't use 3dc in any commercial work . I am so strange why you can make such a big apps only by yourself,which should be made by a corporation,a group of developers.

That's couldn't possible without his abundant knowlage in mathematics,physics and program.May be more...

Surely,that's couldn't possible without his patient&beautiful wife,couldn't possible without his lovely childrens,couldn't possible without his unswerving belief...

So many... :rolleyes:

Andrew,

Thanks for another really cool tool!

I have a problem now, though. 3D-Trees crashed on me yesterday and it won't open anymore. I have re-downloaded the latest build and it still gives me the same message that I have posted as an attachment.

I think the crash originally occurred when I was moving one of the sliders to the right. I don't recall which one. :blink:

3D-Coat still works fine.

Thanks for the help,

Jon

post-704-1208905923_thumb.jpg