3DCoat Forums

High poly to low poly

geo_n

• Advanced Member

Is it possible to project UV set from high poly mesh to low poly mesh?

I was given a high poly mesh that had uv then I retopo. Can I project UV from high poly into low poly retopo? Not textures just the UV. So I can just swap the low poly model while still using the high poly UV sets and textures outside 3dc.

• Advanced Member
Is it possible to project UV set from high poly mesh to low poly mesh?

I was given a high poly mesh that had uv then I retopo. Can I project UV from high poly into low poly retopo? Not textures just the UV. So I can just swap the low poly model while still using the high poly UV sets and textures outside 3dc.

AFAIK only Softimage can do so, via GATOR, but the result isn't as good as they claimed. :p

akira.

• Advanced Member

Thanks. Xsi is really cool. Konami japan is exclusively using it.

I thought Andrew put it hidden somewhere in 3dc. Hehe. Time for a feature request.

FYI the model is from turbosquid and so many crappy high poly models there that's unuseable until you reduce the polycount. I though I could use 3dc to retopo the model, project the uv and have a low,med poly version without so much texture distortion and a cleaner mesh. Guess its manual labor again.

• Advanced Member
I thought it was hidden in there somewhere as well. Maybe it is... I will look further.

Definitely do a feature request though. The more UV tools we have the better.

Yep I thought so too. Since its like a poly reduction workflow but using your own retopo mesh.

Indeed.

If you want more improved UV tools sooner, put in a feature request! I think the more he sees that users want them, the more likely he will do them.

I searched and tried, I see no way to project UVs onto another object.