3DCoat Forums

Automatic remeshing

Fabio Dona

Please see this pdf:

http://www.graphics.rwth-aachen.de/uploads...siggraph_01.pdf

There are lots of publications about remeshing here:

http://www.graphics.rwth-aachen.de/index.php?id=12

I really like the current retopology tools in 3d-coat, but it's still very time consuming. So I wonder if something like that is possible for 3d-coat in the future.

Have you tried 3D-Coat's "Quadrangulate object" feature?

1. merge you model into voxel mode

2. right click on Volume in voxetree panel, choose "Quadrangulate object"

Yes, I'm using this a lot actually. But the results are rarely what I need. It's a fast way to get a quad mesh outside 3d-coat, but the flow is too irregular. It could be a lot better using more sophisticated algorithms, like the ones in those publications. They take the actual shape of the object into account, so the polygon flow is a LOT better. I'm aware that the implementation of this feature is complex, but if Andrew can do something like that it would be amazing.

Please see this pdf:

http://www.graphics.rwth-aachen.de/uploads...siggraph_01.pdf

There are lots of publications about remeshing here:

http://www.graphics.rwth-aachen.de/index.php?id=12

I really like the current retopology tools in 3d-coat, but it's still very time consuming. So I wonder if something like that is possible for 3d-coat in the future.

Wow! The results in the documents are really phantastic and unbelievable !!! :blink:

Hope Andrew will read this post. It is worth.

• Advanced Member

It's seems extremely cool!

Probably the best remeshing scheme I have seen.

Btw,a thing I would like to see in 3dcoat is also a guided(bye the user)field remeshing scheme.

As the programs is able to paint on the mesh,we could paint the field vectors directly(a bit like when you do in a 3d applications a painted fur map to give to the fur an initial direction).

After and automatic algoritmhs could use the painted field to improve the quadrangulation(as user I would like to define the general direction and where the poles are).

A solid remeshing algorithm could use both, completely automatic without the user map(as now),or with the help of this 3d direction map(probably here the difficulty is having a good way to use colors. it's not easy rapresent direction with colors)

Bye

wow, this is the best quadranculation I've seen so far. It almost seems to think the same way as modellers - in loops and poles....

It's probably not patented, since in EU there are no software algorithm patents? So anybody can make his implementation...

yes, very, very good news. Only thing I am not sure about in the paper is that they want/constrain quads to keep the same size all around the model, which is usally not desired in production for 3d industry(although it's good for finite element analysis in simulations). Maybe the users could paint a map /mask for various polygon densities around the model? Also the possiblity to move around singularities manually would be awesome.

• Advanced Member

uh, this looks incredibly good. Regarding the previous post: i like meshes with uniform quads. It makes sense to me, you could still use a mesh decimation algo over it to achieve what you want. The opposite is not true. So Id rather have uniform distribution to start from :rolleyes:

erklearebar - so if you have e.g. a character , you want to have same size quads on his face - around eyes, as on his chest? That's just an example of what I meant, it seems to me you meant a different thing probably. Uniform distribution in local areas is very good, but as I stated, you'd probably want to define areas where you want smaller quads then in others.

• Advanced Member

vil, yes! the reason is that 3DC voxels are not good (yet?) for fine details due to performance problems. So the quadrangulated mesh will be sculpted further. For further sculpting (in another app) and subdivision surfaces even and equally sized quads are optimal. But i see what you mean. But then im pretty sure an algo cant decide whats head and whats chest, so the danger is that small polygons are where you dont need it. Hope this makes sense

• Advanced Member

this looks excellent, we could even possibly make hardsurface models in voxels and then just hit a button to go into uvmapping and retopo tweaks and then bake maps and its ready for a game engine.

• 2 weeks later...
erklearebar - so if you have e.g. a character , you want to have same size quads on his face - around eyes, as on his chest? That's just an example of what I meant, it seems to me you meant a different thing probably. Uniform distribution in local areas is very good, but as I stated, you'd probably want to define areas where you want smaller quads then in others.

You should be able to do that after (new) quadrangulation, fine tune the model using existing split rings/loops and many other tools in the retopo tab ;-)

• 4 weeks later...