3DCoat Forums

Mesh Density Sculpt mode?

Scott Padbury

• Advanced Member

I think that should be a feature request. Zbrush has been doing well with polygon sculpting with multi resolution. I think voxels are great and offer freedom for sculpting people. But after going from voxels to poly there's no easy way to go back. In a production there will always be changes and edits. Voxels isn't the way to go. A sculpting room with multiresolution would be better and already beend done. Should Andrew focus on voxel multi resolution or poly multi resolution? Is it even technically possible to have voxel mutli resolution. The resulutionless voxel theory sounds like BS. In theory and on words its easy to say but is it possible to go up and down voxel? Like coldfusion maybe. Anyway I'm no programmer and only Andrew can say if its technically possible.

• Advanced Member
I think that should be a feature request. Zbrush has been doing well with polygon sculpting with multi resolution. I think voxels are great and offer freedom for sculpting people. But after going from voxels to poly there's no easy way to go back. In a production there will always be changes and edits. Voxels isn't the way to go. A sculpting room with multiresolution would be better and already beend done. Should Andrew focus on voxel multi resolution or poly multi resolution? Is it even technically possible to have voxel mutli resolution. The resulutionless voxel theory sounds like BS. In theory and on words its easy to say but is it possible to go up and down voxel? Like coldfusion maybe. Anyway I'm no programmer and only Andrew can say if its technically possible.

I don't think poly sculpting should be used as a crutch for voxel's current limitations. As you can see, these 'limitations' are being gnawed away by Andrew at an astonishing pace. Just a few months back people thought it highly improbable or even impossible to acheive hard edges in voxels. But that's almost forgotten now. I'm thinking just stick with the voxels/surface and see what happens there. Unless you commit yourself to voxels it's unlikely you'll even allow yourself to see what possible with it.

• Advanced Member

kay_Eva - Agree Andrew is amazing. But I hope there's a hint if its possible or not to have multiresolution in voxel if not invest the time on a two way workflow. Sculpting polys is proven.

Tony Nemo - import 3d data in voxel is useless for revisions. Voxels convert everything to voxels and lose data.

I think what you said

voxels>retopo>paint>native app(max,maya,etc)>import obj to voxels for edit(simple)>retopo>paint>native app(max,maya,etc) - not good workflow

good workflow.

voxels>retopo>multi res sculpt/paint>native app(max,maya,etc)>multires sculpt/paint for edit>native app(max,maya,etc)

• Contributor
kay_Eva - Agree Andrew is amazing. But I hope there's a hint if its possible or not to have multiresolution in voxel if not invest the time on a two way workflow. Sculpting polys is proven.

Tony Nemo - import 3d data in voxel is useless for revisions. Voxels convert everything to voxels and lose data.

I think what you said

voxels>retopo>paint>native app(max,maya,etc)>import obj to voxels for edit(simple)>retopo>paint>native app(max,maya,etc) - not good workflow

good workflow.

voxels>retopo>multi res sculpt/paint>native app(max,maya,etc)>multires sculpt/paint for edit>native app(max,maya,etc)

What I had in mind was more like, voxel>quadrangulate>paint/sculpt>export obj>import obj>voxel.

• Advanced Member
What I had in mind was more like, voxel>quadrangulate>paint/sculpt>export obj>import obj>voxel.

Quadrangulate is messy. Its for one shot projects like personal projects or hobby projects that don't need revisions.

Export obj>import obj>voxel- everything you worked on is reset to voxel. its a dead end workflow and no going back, not good.

a model goes through 10-30 iterations before its approved so a two way workflow is better. it doesn't need to be done in voxel. A good multi-res sculpting room would do.

• Contributor
Quadrangulate is messy. Its for one shot projects like personal projects or hobby projects that don't need revisions.

Export obj>import obj>voxel- everything you worked on is reset to voxel. its a dead end workflow and no going back, not good.

a model goes through 10-30 iterations before its approved so a two way workflow is better. it doesn't need to be done in voxel. A good multi-res sculpting room would do.

All that would be needed is the enhanced quadrangulation that has been discussed elsewhere. If you really must use a polygon system, you always have your copy of Zbrush (or Mudbox). As for doing endless revisions, the client could choose from images instead of a mesh and the project need never leave voxels until it's ready fot retopology.

I seriously doubt that Andrew has plans to compete with the other apps by apeing their technology. Voxels are just too good for that. You will probably see the opposite, the others taking up voxels.