3DCoat Forums

First Try at Ear Sculpt (previous post;Head/Face Sculpt from Sphere)

3d_sculptress

• Contributor

Hi,

My advice which Differs slightly from the norm is to use the copy tool to draw the shape of the ear on the side of the head, Set a seperate layer and Copy tool the ear shape to that layer then use pose tool to Rotate the ear for outward, the merg it tio head form. The reason i prefer this method is that simply sculpting the ear, like that it can be difficult to get a tight curve and tight lines where it joins the heaad meaning it can look very flat. This is usually the case when people sculpt ears on a poly head, but as voxels have no such topological constarint things can be achived with better results by thinking out of the box so to speak. New workflows for a new medium. When i gget to the office I will put up a free vid on my vimeo channel to illustarte. Not added any content for a while so feel the need to add this. its a good subject matter.

• Contributor
Hi,

My advice which Differs slightly from the norm is to use the copy tool to draw the shape of the ear on the side of the head, Set a seperate layer and Copy tool the ear shape to that layer then use pose tool to Rotate the ear for outward, the merg it tio head form. The reason i prefer this method is that simply sculpting the ear, like that it can be difficult to get a tight curve and tight lines where it joins the heaad meaning it can look very flat. This is usually the case when people sculpt ears on a poly head, but as voxels have no such topological constarint things can be achived with better results by thinking out of the box so to speak. New workflows for a new medium. When i gget to the office I will put up a free vid on my vimeo channel to illustarte. Not added any content for a while so feel the need to add this. its a good subject matter.

thanks so much LJB...I figured there was a way to attatch the ear to my head sculpt, but really wasn't sure about how, so I was just gonna rebuild new ears for my head sculpt ,but this will save some wear n tear on me n my stylus.........I'll keep your comment/info that you just left earmarked, (pardon the pun,lol) and look forward to watching your vid....thanks again..... :drinks:

• Contributor

Video Up find it here

hi, LJB...I just finished watching your tutorial and creating my first set of ears...may need some fine tuning, but best I can do for now....now I guess I can just save the ears in a seperate file from the head sculpt, then use them on other models,,morphing when necassary..that will help alot....well now I'm gonna focus more on the structure of the head, then I'll go to the body phase,,,well, thanks again for the tutorial drinks.gif

post-1992-1253800172163_thumb.jpg

post-1992-12538001878881_thumb.jpg

post-1992-1253800205621_thumb.jpg