3DCoat Forums

Basic UV projection tools

David Walters

• Advanced Member

Hi, I think this has been asked for previously - but now seems a good idea to mention it again - could you add a few basic unwrap commands (such as box, planar and sphere) to complement the automatic island based / ABF++ systems - preferably with face selection so you can apply different unwraps to various areas of your model. I find the automatic systems to be quite complicated and so something more direct would be preferable for me and will pick up the cases where these automatic algorithms perform sub-optimally.

This doesn't sound like a particularly hard thing to add and I think it would help make the UV tab more feature complete. A workflow where you just do your modelling in Wings, etc. and then come to 3DCoat with all the tools you need to UV and paint a low poly model would be great timesaver.

ps. I'd also like to re-request the UV window to be changed into a 'new UI' docked window rather than as a floating pop-up. Unless, of course, you've done this already! Being able to dock the view into a split-pane would be easier to work with than moving the object to one size of the viewport to avoid it.