3DCoat Forums

SpacePilot profile for 3dcoat

Jean-Luc

Hello, since this is my first post on this forum I want to start with a HUGE spasiba to Andrew for this wonderful application. Not only is it a wonderful program but it gets better almost everyday, amazing :)

Now, to the subject of this post. I recently purchased a second hand space pilot (after reading it was supported by 3D-Coat. I was a bit disappointed by the limitations of the 3DConnexion driver (not being able to customize the buttons for the programs not officially supported so I decided to do some research and see if there is a workaround for that. I found this post on the official forum that explained a workaround so I gave it a try for 3D-Coat and I managed to get the keys to work.

I don't know if the file would work for everybody on any platform (I run windows 7 x64) so if it doesn't, here are the steps to create one.

1 You customize any of your keys with any non supported program having the focus.

2 It will create a file called userNN.scg in C:\Users\YOU_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\profiles

3 You open this file in notepad to edit it

Search for EXECUTABLES = {"*.*"} and replace with EXECUTABLES = {"3D-CoatDX64.exe*"} (or the name of the executable you use for your version)

Search for APPLICATION_NAME = "Any Application" and replace by APPLICATION_NAME = "3D-Coat"

Search for TRANSPORT_PROTOCOL = and replace by TRANSPORT_PROTOCOL = WIN32_KEYBOARD

Finally, save the file in C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare64\en_us\profiles\default with the name 3DCoat.scg

Now, when you switch to 3D-Coat it will automatically load the 3D-Coat profile that you can easily costumize

For example, you can click on the "Panel" button of your SpacePilot, then choose "Custim Functions..." -> "new" and add something like "Macro Name "Brush Palette", type the letter "F" in the macro, save and assign this macro to one of the button of you SpacePilot

I hope this will be useful, and maybe we can share some great configuration files that way :)

Jean-Luc

3dcoat.zip