3DCoat Forums

Transform (rotate & move) the symmetry plane, please! :-)

ifxs

user customized symmetry plane  

24 members have voted

1. 1. would you like the ability to transform the symmetry plane of a vox tree layer?(rotate / move / scale)

2. 2. Have you ever needed to rotate your symmetry plane?

3. 3. would you use customizable symmetry plane bookmarks? Each time you custom transform a symmetry plane by rotating/moving/scaling it, you could save that current transform as a bookmark that you could recall at a later time, and switch between the various

• Advanced Member

I and many others could really use the ability to transform, rotate and move & scale the symmetry plane of a selected Vox Tree layer. I have run into needing this feature in over 75% of my 3D Coat voxel projects.

It would also be VERY valuable if we had the ability to save/bookmark the current symmetry-plane orientation of that vox layer in a similar way that you can now "bookmark/save" the current camera position with Control+UP Arrow. Thus one could save and recall multiple symmetry planes transforms for working on various aspects of a vox sculpt. It would also be useful to be able to name the saved symmetry plane "bookmark". Perhaps have a pulldown menu next to the name of each vox layer with the names of currently saved symmetry-plane bookmarks, and the options to rename the current one, or delete one of the bookmarks.

At least the bare minimum ability to transform the symmetry plane would be BEYOND USEFUL for many 3D Coat users. Although, Andrew, if you have the time, the bookmark system I mentioned above would really make many workflows much improved, and give 3D Coat an advantage over nearly ALL other sculpts apps(MB, ZB, etc).

If anyone else has thoughts to offer, please do.

• Advanced Member

Currently ArtMan in the forums suggested this workflow to achieve what a quick rotation of the symmetry plane could achieve in 1 step, if we had the ability to do so:

-Clone your layer

-Select Sphere or Carve brush and E-panel rectangle selection tool,

hold control and drag over your cloned layer to delete it.

(Its gonna keep symmetry plane while not altering its size either)

-Now select transform tool and move and rotate around the sym plane to your liking.

-select Copy brush and paint over the "old layer"

while being on the empty layer with desired symmetry plane.

(oldlayer must be visible of course.Any other layers visibility beside those 2 should be off.)

IMO this is far too many steps for such a necessary function in 3D Coat that could be achieved with the ability to rotate and move the symmetry plane.

• Reputable Contributor

Currently ArtMan in the forums suggested this workflow to achieve what a quick rotation of the symmetry plane could achieve in 1 step, if we had the ability to do so:

-Clone your layer

-Now select transform tool and move and rotate around the sym plane to your liking.

(oldlayer must be visible of course.Any other layers visibility beside those 2 should be off.)

IMO this is far too many steps for such a necessary function in 3D Coat that could be achieved with the ability to rotate and move the symmetry plane.

Yes it is...all these workarounds to do the simplest of tasks. But it's doing little good for a few people to chime in about it. It takes more squeeking for the wheel to get the grease (including a transform icon in the Paint Room so a model that the user can rotate/scale/move model).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

thanks for the vote Digital777, I have wondered why the text is very light, I dont want to tweak the styles myself, just in case the thread gets deleted due to such a tweak. Wonder if its in the "master page" of the forums.

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

-Clone your layer

I'm having trouble with your "hold control and drag over your cloned layer to delete it." step. If I just drag it with control held down, nothing happens. If I drag it to the trash, it's deleted from the VoxTree.

My goal is to align the symmetry plane with an object. The Symmetry plane is way off to one side, and 'reset symmetry plance', 'to global space' and other several ideas I've seen just don't seem to ever affect the symmetry plane's relation to the object.