3DCoat Forums

Ptex export size

philnolan3d

The biggest problem with Ptex in 3DC for now that I see is that the export size is locked down to 2048. Which creates a problem if your Ptex tiles take just slightly more than that space. Now you have 2 images exported which take up the same amount of file space each even though one only has a small amount of usable data.

I'm attaching an example. This is the color export from my Bruce Willis sculpture shrunken down a bit for the sake of the example, but each of these are 2048 size and 16MB each

post-466-12700919803703_thumb.jpg

If the image size could be made just slightly larger the small Ptex images could be rearranged to fit onto one image.

• Applink Developer

This is a very good point. For example if I have ptex model and I have finished it with painting. Now if I want to change its UV settings

in UV room. if there is more than one uv set I can't add them together. I can unwrap one set and it gives good result but it is pointless

because the other uv-set is not included. Also when you press "Apply UV-set" I would like to have a resolution option, because if I have

very detailed ptex model it needs bigger map than 2048. Thanks.

• Advanced Member

This is one of the issues that I was under the impression was just part of PTEX. Is this a 3DC issue? or do all PTEX render engines only support 2048x2048 texture image sizes? Due to using it for microvert displacement, I would think that 4096 would be a more logical image size cap(or better yet 8k).

Saving out Ptex as an image is not part of the Ptex code that Disney gave out, Andrew added that part. The real way to use Ptex is saving the thousands of little texture files out into a .ptx file. 3DC can also do that but very little supports it right now so there's not much point.

• 4 months later...
  • Applink Developer

I would really like to see some improments with this area. For example adding a option " Force into one UV map". I don't quite understand why it needs to create

more than one. That should be one of the Ptex advantages to create one uv map and use local resolution? It gives us a hard time when we take the model out from 3d-coat

with 3 diffrent Ptex uv maps.

You can now increase the size of the UV map, then they will all fit on one image. Unfortunately there's still a bunch of wasted space because you can only use set sizes (1024, 2048, etc.). If we could set our own size so as to have one image with no wasted space it would really be ideal.

• Applink Developer

I don't know if, Andrew you did something but now it seems to create only one uv-map in every situation. That's really good thing. Using uv space

more effectly would be the next thing but it's already a nice step foward. Thanks.