3DCoat Forums

Pottery disc

spacepainter

• Advanced Member

Inspired by http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5486

I would suggest that instead of using a 3Dconnexion thingy we could program a button to do the spinning.

Then you could scratch or bulge or whatever you do to the surface of your pot while it keeps rotating automatically...

• Applink Developer

I agree. This would be cool. There could be a check box like "Move Camera instead brush while painting" And it would work like this:

When you press on the surface camera would rotate according your mouse. slowly when it is near from starting point and faster when it's futher away.

This would solve the problem when you want to start to paint into surface and end it into other side (hidden from camera). Right now

you have to paint + rotate camera + paint again which means that you have created a seam. Good example where this would be helpful is

when you are sculpting hair.

• Advanced Member

Haha, I guess 3Dconnexion Ltd will hate this feature to be implemented. After all it's really not expensive to get a 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator($80 - $99 in US), plus you will get more fun using it with 3D-Coat. Since 3D-Coat is still the only Sculpting software that support 3Dconnexion in the market.

:)

• Advanced Member

I have to admit to not watching that tutorial yet, but isn't this an 'automated'

variation on radial symmetry? The difference being you would have to find other

solutions to 'lathing' things that don't line up with any particular axis.

Not trying to belittle your request (it sounds like it would be fun to use), but

I wonder if radial symmetry, in combination with pen alphas, wouldn't be a bit more

functional....but then, of course, I've got no idea how much coding either would take. :)

• Advanced Member

I have to admit to not watching that tutorial yet, but isn't this an 'automated'

variation on radial symmetry? The difference being you would have to find other

solutions to 'lathing' things that don't line up with any particular axis.

Not trying to belittle your request (it sounds like it would be fun to use), but

I wonder if radial symmetry, in combination with pen alphas, wouldn't be a bit more

functional....but then, of course, I've got no idea how much coding either would take. :)

You should watch the tutorial, it's not an "automated variation on radial symmetry" like you thought.

It operates just like the Lathe tool(pottery wheel) in real world. The look and feel just isn't the same as the normal "automated computed way".

Just download the 6 mins long tutorial, and you only need to watch the first 30 secs to understand it. It's not time wasted. :)

• Advanced Member

lc8b105,

okay, just watched the tutorial. neat. You're spinning the model instead of spinning the brush (as it's done

with radial symmetry in Zbrush). Probably really cool for space navigator folks, no doubt.

But for those of us without space navigators, I'd still like to see radial symmetry. (especially when whatever you want to spin

isn't perfectly lined up on 1 axis) ;)

cheers, and sorry, spacepainter, for muddyin' up your request. :drinks:

• Advanced Member

lc8b105,

okay, just watched the tutorial. neat. You're spinning the model instead of spinning the brush (as it's done

with radial symmetry in Zbrush). Probably really cool for space navigator folks, no doubt.

But for those of us without space navigators, I'd still like to see radial symmetry. (especially when whatever you want to spin

isn't perfectly lined up on 1 axis) ;)

cheers, and sorry, spacepainter, for muddyin' up your request. :drinks:

Thanks for watching! :)