3DCoat Forums

uv-set smoothing

mackshiva

Hi,

When you quadrangulate for per pixel paint and choose the subdivision level, there are options for uv-set smoothing. Full uv-set smoothing, smooth but keep edges and smooth but keep corners and no smoothing.

Forgive me but I don't understand what these options are for. Could someone explain why you would choose these different options?

Thank you very much!

This is really only useful if the software you're rendering in can also handle it, LightWave is an example that can. Normally when you create a UV map it has sharp corners on everything, regardless of whether the model is subpatched or not. If the model is subpatched this can cause distortions in the texture.

It's actually easiest for my to describe using UVs in LightWave I think. Here you can see the differences with their names (3DC version of the names in parenthesis) Personally if I know that the model is going to be subpatched later I will always set this up. I prefer the linear corners option, I think it does the best job most of the time.

uvsmoothing.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the info!

After doing many tests, I found out that for mental ray subdivision surfaces (at least when rendered from Softimage) "Smooth UVs / Keep Edges" is the option that produces perfect results!

I'm still searching for the right option to get perfect seams with Arnold / Mantra (which both use Renderman compatible UV smoothing). Maybe some Renderman user can help me out...