3DCoat Forums

Brushes that push & pull

philnolan3d

If the brush engines is to get some work there's one thing that I find missing. That is brushes that an raise the mesh out in places, while at he same time pushing it in in other places. Like a black & white brush where black would push in, gray would do nothing, and white raises the mesh out.

Edit: I see now that you actually can make brushes that do this, but it only works in Surface mode.

http://screencast.com/t/NWI5MTZj

If the brush engines is to get some work there's one thing that I find missing. That is brushes that an raise the mesh out in places, while at he same time pushing it in in other places. Like a black & white brush where black would push in, gray would do nothing, and white raises the mesh out.

Edit: I see now that you actually can make brushes that do this, but it only works in Surface mode.

http://screencast.com/t/NWI5MTZj

Much better are vectorbased brushes. :) They form, not just push or pull...

->

Yeah I've heard about them. Not entirely sure how useful it is though. With voxels you could just stick an ear model on there and with more options at that.

I am not shure, if you have more options in 3DC. In 3DC you can't let grow the ear, just scale. But this is a polygon feature I think.

Anyway. Very cool. And the idea with "push & pull", controled by a mask is nice.

Well true you can't "grow" it, but I'm not sure you'd ever really need to do that as for more options, I mean that you could put the ear on backwards if you wanted to, or standing on end. As far as I can tell with the vector method it can only go on one way.

• Advanced Member

I think it would be great to be able to add a vector layer to a brush. Some brushes would not benefit from it, but some, like barbed scales, or anything with a true over hang would be really great. Since 3DC already allows us to output vector displacement maps this would be a great feature! Maybe it would be even nice if when you create a brush from a mesh using the pen options, it also adds a vector layer?

You could even grow trees etc. very easily with this...and it would be a much better way to build up a craggy cliff side etc.

I think the use of a vector displacement option on a brush is VERY well suited to playing up the strengths of voxels too! Good find Taros!

Should we make a new thread about it? It would kill three birds with one stone if the feature were implemented IMHO.

I think it would be great to be able to add a vector layer to a brush. Some brushes would not benefit from it, but some, like barbed scales, or anything with a true over hang would be really great. Since 3DC already allows us to output vector displacement maps this would be a great feature! Maybe it would be even nice if when you create a brush from a mesh using the pen options, it also adds a vector layer?

You could even grow trees etc. very easily with this...and it would be a much better way to build up a craggy cliff side etc.

I think the use of a vector displacement option on a brush is VERY well suited to playing up the strengths of voxels too! Good find Taros!

Should we make a new thread about it? It would kill three birds with one stone if the feature were implemented IMHO.

A new thread is a good idea - Outline why it's totally awesome (and it is!), why we need it, and how it functions! Inspire Andrew and it will likely see the light of day. :)

• Advanced Member

A new thread is a good idea - Outline why it's totally awesome (and it is!), why we need it, and how it functions! Inspire Andrew and it will likely see the light of day. :)

Of coarse...something that just uses a mesh straight up WITH "growth/depth" control would be even more cool, more universally understood and changeable AND maybe easier to implement? Why have a vector map of a 3D ear when you can just use a 3D obj for the ear straight up? Then again, maybe it would be easier to just use the vector map?

I guess this is something for Andrew to decide!