3DCoat Forums

I beg you: Make paint functions multithreaded

Taros

Hello,

please please please! Optimise the paint functions to be multithreaded as soon as possible.

I am working with high detailed meshes and high res textures (4k) every day, since months. It needs very long time to fill objects or paint with extra large brushes.

I remember Andrew planned to optimise the brush engine overall for the next release. But I am not shure this will happen, because of the much work that needs to be done, beside the brush engine.

But I still hope...

Someone else who think like me? :(

Best wishes

Chris

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I've too been hoping(and asking) for this too. a (severe)lack of speed in the paint room causes me to ponder a Mari purchase when it's released. I most often now(for speed purposes) fall back on using ZBrush for my painting(which is thankfully finally useful in ZB4 with layers, though not as ideal as 3DCoat or (especially)Mudbox IMO).

Thankfully!!!, I've seen(as expected) major speed increases in the vox room since Andrew's recent multithreading updates/fixes, though there is still much room to optimize IMO. I'm looking forward to a fully multithreaded paint room after/during the continued vox room updates.

Off topic, but then again, I've also been waiting half a year for the supposed 64bit OSX 3DCoat. I still have 3DCoat files that my 32bit OSX 3DC cant even open again after saving... rant sorry.

3D coat, getting better, taking its time, but getting much better. Still I use(and enjoy very much) it for its strengths. Thanks Andrew for your hard work.

• Applink Developer

I also would like to see some improments in this area. But I remember that Andrew has said that he is planning to do some changes

in this area. So that would be first and then after that would come multi-threaded. Not other way around.

• Advanced Member

Yes,painting in 3DC feels like slowmotion, it badly needs speedup if 3DC is supposed to be useful for any serious work.I love features in paint mode but slow down with brushes and fill tool makes me sometimes scream.

I don't think you should 'beg' if Andrew wants to stay competitive and make money he must do something about this or people will move to other solutions no matter the cost.All this features are useless if you can't make your work done fast and efficiently and if you lose money because you can't make your job in 3DC price of Mari seems like a bullet you will need to swallow.3DC has great potential but speed is BIG issue which really needs some attention.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I just want to chip in and show my support for this thread. I've been asking and hoping for some speed increase in the paint room since I started using this program a couple of years ago now. Mari painting is smooth as butter so it's definitely possible to get better results.

Andrew has stated already that he's going to have a look at the Painting side for the next release so fingers crossed.

• Advanced Member

Does Andrew read feature request subforum ?

Not sure, I posted a fairly big list of bugs and suggestions a while back but it didn't get any replys from users either so it was probably the wrong area to post in. I didn't plan on posting in a load of topics though for each thing but i was hoping to get a response at least.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6259

I don't know maybe i am wrong, i am guessing Andrew attempts to keep forum reading minimal otherwise there would be a slowdown in developments. What might be a good idea is a user/mod made to-do list with anything that has not been done yet. I can't help thinking (on any forums) though that when a topic goes down the page it will probably be ignored although i hope that is not the case.

Thinking about it though it's a huge amount of work for 1 developer to not only keep up to date with the forum but also try to fix bugs and add in workflow things as well as developing more major features like auto retopo etc. I said in another thread this is one reason why a advanced SDK/scripting or multiple members in a dev team is good but that got a debate going and some people don't like that idea.

• Advanced Member

definitely like to put my support in for this request as well. ;)

as to this:

Does Andrew read feature request subforum ?

Yes, he does. Otherwise half the things currently in 3DC would not be there, nor would workflow changes...

the caveat: things change over time...as probably does his reaction time to requests.

I suspect adding multi-threading to the paint tools will improve situation but not totally fix it. That's why, I believe, Andrew wants to go through some deeper optimization procedures - which, as a rule of thumb, are always the hardest to pull off.

I second the plight for speed improvements, right now for me it's Mudbox all the way for texture painting. Which's kinda weird considering that texture creation was the whole reason why the app was created to start with - hence the "coat" name and the fresh paint logo, aye? ;)

I think a voxel sculpting improvement is a hard part and was already improved several times.

In my opinion it is time to think about some fixes and improvements in the rest of the tool. I will not stop to remember: 3D Coat is NOT only a voxel sculpting tool, there are more parts that are used. The paint capabilities and ideas are very strong, some more speed would give them a boost.

Mari is a very interesting tool, that I am waiting for and that will be tested as soon as possible. The price for this professional application is very interesting, too.

I just want to chip in and show my support for this thread. I've been asking and hoping for some speed increase in the paint room since I started using this program a couple of years ago now. Mari painting is smooth as butter so it's definitely possible to get better results.

Andrew has stated already that he's going to have a look at the Painting side for the next release so fingers crossed.

Did you tested Mari already and can really confirm the speed?

Best wishes

Chris

• Advanced Member

Did you tested Mari already and can really confirm the speed?

Best wishes

Chris

I have tested Mari and I don't think I'm in any breach of NDA by stating that the painting is incredible. It has been demonstrated already by many videos released by the Foundry. I am very impressed with the Painting speed even with massive brush sizes.

I have tested Mari and I don't think I'm in any breach of NDA by stating that the painting is incredible. It has been demonstrated already by many videos released by the Foundry. I am very impressed with the Painting speed even with massive brush sizes.

What hardware did you used for the test?

I still use an old Q6700 CPU with a gforxe GTX 460/2GB and Win7 64bit, with 8GB of system ram. Is this ok to work with it?

EDIT: I read just now, that my system configuration is basically ok, but there is no windows version for now.

• Advanced Member

I can not complain much about the current speed of painting (and sculpting) but i also did no comparisions.

However, i think that multithreading only gives max. 30% speed improvement. Its often more effective to find a bottleneck and optimize there or do some data caching.

this is not the case at all in my experience, and that of MANY others. In 3D Coat I am getting about 500%, yes, five hundred percent increases in the vox room on my 8 core system since Andrew FINALLY multithread a FEW of the necessary features many have been asking for. It's made the vox room usable for projects that were taking HOURS just to use simple tools like merge/pose/etc.

SECONDLY, have you ever used ZBrush with and without multithreading turned on? I EASILY get a 300-400% speed increase with multithreading turning on in the ZBrush prefs.

EDIT: just since no one else has posted since my last post, and not that anyone cares, but I wanted to also note that I get about 200-300% increase in photoshop with multithreading, and MASSIVE 700%+ increases in AFter effects(even for certain 3d operations). So a 30% increase with a multicore system, usually means either a process that isn't built for multithreading has been multithreaded, or the developer didn't care or know what they were doing to some degree. In some apps, multithreading isn't feasible(given the time investment to code it), but in 3D, MANY 3D apps, sculpting and otherwise, have proven that robust multithreading EASILY gives huge performance gains for many 3D operations, if the developer knows how to add them properly. Case in point, Andrew just proved this is too the case for 3D Coat with the recent vox room multithreading additions, so its a matter of will he do it, not can he do it, in my opinion.

• Advanced Member

this is not the case at all in my experience, and that of MANY others. In 3D Coat I am getting about 500%, yes, five hundred percent increases in the vox room on my 8 core system since Andrew FINALLY multithread a FEW of the necessary features many have been asking for. It's made the vox room usable for projects that were taking HOURS just to use simple tools like merge/pose/etc.

SECONDLY, have you ever used ZBrush with and without multithreading turned on? I EASILY get a 300-400% speed increase with multithreading turning on in the ZBrush prefs.

Ok, thanks for clarifing that ;)