3DCoat Forums

Export Voxel scale issue

Joel Mongeon

I'm getting more familiar with 3D Coat and it's voxel modeling tools and have run into an issue with exporting obj's to another package.

I've made a model using Voxels in 3D Coat which has several layers. If I export the entire scene as an obj it imports fine. However, if I export each layer one by one and import them into a new application the size and pivots are not the same. I've used the "To Global Space" command to try and reset the transforms of each layer however I still get random sizes on importing into another app. Exporting as OBJ also does not carry the layer name with it. Exporting the whole scene as an obj keeps the scale but then I loose my layers and naming.

What does work as expected is exporting the whole scene as a lwo file. It keeps all the layers seperate keeping layer names.

I use modo for my modeling but a lot of people on my team do not/will not switch. So, I'm set for importing lwo files into modo, but it would be nice to be able to figure out how to export voxel layers into other 3d applications through obj's and not have to worry about scaling, pivot, naming issues. Is there something I'm missing here or is the obj exporter just too limited?

Thanks!

• Contributor

Use Export Pattern instead of Export Object. :)

Dont worry about the name its really just a simple export with same formats avaible

and decimation avaible too...the only difference,is your scale will be respected.

I think export obkect should be removed..it never worked on my side.

• Like 1

Use Export Pattern instead of Export Object. :)

Dont worry about the name its really just a simple export with same formats avaible

and decimation avaible too...the only difference,is your scale will be respected.

I think export obkect should be removed..it never worked on my side.

Thanks artman, yeah, why is that option even there if it doesn't work and the one that does is named something obscure like "export pattern for merge"? :)

• Contributor

Thanks artman, yeah, why is that option even there if it doesn't work and the one that does is named something obscure like "export pattern for merge"? :)

Users have reported this more than once,i think Andrew is not able to reproduce.

He tried to fix it once but it got even worse,not only scale but orientation didnt even match anymore.

"Export pattern for merge" should really replace "Export Object",thats the fastest way to fix.)

Note:Andrew,please find difference between "export pattern for merge" and other export methods to fix this issue once and for all.

Problem is coming from 3DC not other apps.

Its a critical issue.(btw this guy is a pro,he is doing nothing wrong that can cause the issue)