3DCoat Forums

Brush Artifacts

bobzilla

• Advanced Member

I've exported an OBJ from Cinema 4D. Brought it into 3DCoat for Per Pixel Painting. Upped the subdivisions a little and made the textures 4096.

When I paint on the model, the brush creates artifacts. When I repeat the process with Microvertex Painting it looks even worse the strokes are all fuzzy.

What would cause this? I've done the UV in BodyPaint and it looks fine there.

I'm on an 2 GHz Intel Core Duo iMac with 2 GB of RAM with a Radeon X1600 graphics card running on 10.5.8.

Thanks.

Bob

(see attached)

post-650-12933869038118_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

I'd like to know if anyone else is having this problem. I can't really use the program for what I need as I can't seem to paint depth in the Paint Room.

I get the same result on objs that come with the program, so it's not my imported model.

Thanks.

Bob

• Advanced Member

Well, I'd rather not share the mesh, but it happens on objs that come with 3DCoat. The dino, just brush along the lower jaw or go across the arm and leg where they meet the body. It's really bad where the mesh curves in as in where limbs meet the body. The creature, too.

Bob

• Reputable Contributor

Well, I'd rather not share the mesh, but it happens on objs that come with 3DCoat. The dino, just brush along the lower jaw or go across the arm and leg where they meet the body. It's really bad where the mesh curves in as in where limbs meet the body. The creature, too.

Bob

The default creature is not a very good edge flow model. There are lots of problems with that one. There is alot of overly elongated polygons and polygons that are co-planer. The dino has some of the same problems, poles being around where the leg and thigh join plus extreme elongated polygon faces. That would be very bad for animating too. Some of those old models really should not be included in the samples folder. The problems you see in those two meshes are directly related to the above facts.

Here is a tip just if you do not know...

3DCoat does not handle overly elongated polygons very well. Causes lots of problems.

Extreme Co-planer polygon faces the same.

Poles can cause problems especially if they are along a seam line.

Now, I not saying your model has bad edge flow but the above is just information for you...

Bob

I am not shure, which dino you mean, but normalmap problems appears always, when uv seams are not set well.

EDIT: I found the sample dino. Yes, problems at seams and the texel size is not the same in all uv islands, should be equalized.

The it could be tangent related problem, too. They appear in all apps. But there are some solutions to avoid them.

But mainly it is a seam problem in the dino model. Should be set better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I've posted this over in the Painting Bugs forum, but it looks pretty dead over there.

Here are some screen shots with the low poly mesh turned on in the spots that are not working. There are no seams in either area.

I hope this can be fixed as I can't really use it like this.

Bob

post-650-12953684253356_thumb.png

post-650-12953684325682_thumb.png