3DCoat Forums

Multiple UV mapping tip

• Reputable Contributor

Edit, I discovered a couple of bugs in the other method that I posted about 2 hours ago, this one works better. Just save often as I asking the program to go a little different route. Test it out to see if it meets your workflow...

This will assume you know how merge separate voxel layers and create uv sets so this is not really a newcomers tip. Some of you might be doing this already. This method does not need to use the hide tool for retopo layers and helps in marking seams and unwrapping. This method keeps everything thing nice and tidy at least for my brain. :blink:

----------------------------------------------------------

Once you are done creating your voxel model with separate layers follow steps below:

Auto retopo or manually retopo your first voxel layer. Keep the polygons highlighted or highlight them and in the retopo room first click on Mark Seams but "Do Not Mark any Seams" and rename your uv set from default to your naming system. The polygons are still highlighted but blue in color. Next use the (move selected faces drop down box list) and choose your renamed uv set that you want the selected polygons moved too.There is only one now to choose from. The polygons will be moved to that uv set even though they are "Not Marked for Seams or Unwrapped and the polygons become deselected". Of course you will not see anything in the uv preview window. Next create another uv set or make all the uv sets you are going to need.

"The next steps are important ones"

Now select your "second uv set" before going back to the voxel room for the second voxel layer to retopo. This is most important and is a must for the method to work correcly. Your first set of polygons will disappear from view as they are now on a different uv set. It's time to go back to the voxel room and "repeat the process" for each voxel layer remembering the polygons will be moved to the chosen uv set even though they are "Not Marked for Seams or Unwrapped".I name the uv sets and my retopo layers the same so I do not get confused on what layer and uv set I'm on.

Now everthing thing is setup for you you to mark seams and unwrapped each uv set.Use the uv set selection drop down box list to go from uv set to uv set and only the polygons of the chosen uv set appear. This makes it real easy for marking your seams and unwrapping each retopo layer to it's own uv set. The polygons will only unwrap to that uv set that you moved them too. Just make sure your are on the correct layer and correct uv set.. This is the main reason I name the layers and uv sets the same name. Also you will need to hide voxel layers as needed when marking seams...

Done...

Note:

Also you could go ahead and mark seams and unwrapped each uv set as you work along in the above method too. Your choice of workflow, plus it works on single layer voxel models as well. You have to do some adjusting but easy to figure out.

Note:

After your first retopo layer is merged, the remaining retopo layers take longer to merge into the paint room, be patient. Also when merging keep only the retopo layer that is merging visible, hide all others.

Andrew will need to optimize that merging process since we have multiple uv map creation in the retopo room now.

An easy test is to use two spheres on separate layers and test the workflow of the method to see how it works.

If I get enough time, I will make a video but real busy now...

• Advanced Member

Digman,

Thank you for this. I will give it a go later. I have been having some real problems exporting from retop to paint room (lots of crashes), even using some handy hints you'd passed to Eric and his Jedidiah mesh.

Cheers,

Ricky.