3DCoat Forums

more advanced way to control "more/less on heights"

kirkl

• Advanced Member

Right now it looks like there is no control at all and the " height scale" settings do not make any difference for me. You just have a zero paint on a zero flat part and abruptly 100% painting on any non flat, prominent part of a surface without any gradient.

What if I need to paint only on a highest part?

We need a kind of respond curve setting for that feature.

• Advanced Member

yes, cavity is great. Would be also good to have the cavity radius working in per-pixel painting.

But sometimes I need to paint not based on cavities but on height for some kind of things.( a prominent details on a flat surface for example, cavity would not work well for that ) It's a great feature and advantage over Zbrush AO mask and it's pity it don't have a precise intuitive control.

• Reputable Contributor

yes, cavity is great. Would be also good to have the cavity radius working in per-pixel painting.

But sometimes I need to paint not based on cavities but on height for some kind of things.( a prominent details on a flat surface for example, cavity would not work well for that ) It's a great feature and advantage over Zbrush AO mask and it's pity it don't have a precise intuitive control.

Can you show a screen capture of what you are talking about...this is a guessing game otherwise. You have a host of options in that same dropdown list...one of which is "More on Heights."

As for feature requests, I don't know if it's a good idea to try and pile a bunch of feature requests on Andrew at the moment. He's working with Raul on the new dynamic subdivision and trying to get him up to speed. There are a number of things I've requested multiple times and we just have to wait for a more opportune time, as Andrew is only one person. As fast as he works, the requests come in even faster.

• Advanced Member

post-1437-12968562011822_thumb.jpg

This is a pyramid, painted by a brush from the standard set. I use paint on heights and want to paint mostly a top part of a pyramid. But instead it paints just a whole pyramid, whatever settings I am using. What I expecting is a kind of gradient from top to down. It would be a great tool if works properly, would be very helpful to make prominent parts of a surface worn or something.

• Advanced Member

Your Screenshot does not illustrate a program-error but a misunderstanding. :)

"Hight" doesn't relate to absolute hight in xyz-coordinates of single objects but elevation from average Surface-Level.

It is the opposite of painting in Cavities.

So if you drew a smaller pyramid onto of your existing one, even if it sat on the bottom side and then switched to

More on Hights again it would paint the Pyramid-Top this time.

• Advanced Member

The pyramid in my picture is not an object. It's painted in micro-vertex painting mode onto a flat surface so it does exist as an elevation on a surface level. You can try to paint it in per-pixel mode with the same result except you will not see the actual elevation.