3DCoat Forums

pmG's* Dare To Share � * $10 *Challenge

GFX-1

• Reputable Contributor

pmG's* Dare To Share ™ * $10 *Challenge

That's right, but there is a catch.

projectmessiah.com/x6/shop.html

Cheers...

I'm still not clear HOW you "Reach the Goal" or HOW you participate. It's very vague. Do you have to have a certain number of people "buy in" at the $10 price?

I still think he should "license" the Character Animation tools to either Newtek/Lightwave or Luxology/Modo...or both. Much as Joe Alter did with Shave and a Haircut. Both could stand to add CA tools that are mature and yet cutting edge.

• Advanced Member

I don't know what to make of that. I'm waiting for an answer there.

My first reaction was shock, since I just purchased Messiah. Supposedly I'll get a refund if the goal is reached, but I just don't know what to think right now.

Tom

• Advanced Member
I still think he should "license" the Character Animation tools to either Newtek/Lightwave or Luxology/Modo...or both. Much as Joe Alter did with Shave and a Haircut

Except without screwing his supporters the way Joe Alter did.

Joe seemed like such a good guy before that. He once Emailed me personally to send me a software update in response to a problem I had.

Tom

I just came here to post this. Having this along with the 3DC AppLink looks like it could be the next best thing to posing in 3C while you paint. Of course many other great benefits as well. I may jump right on it when my first payment from this current project comes through, hopefully tomorrow.

• Reputable Contributor

I just came here to post this. Having this along with the 3DC AppLink looks like it could be the next best thing to posing in 3C while you paint. Of course many other great benefits as well. I may jump right on it when my first payment from this current project comes through, hopefully tomorrow.

So, you have to pay full price until it's determined that this mysterious "target" is reached? I'm confused...

No you pay the $10 or $40 now, the catch is that you don't get anything until the goal is reached. That's your incentive to spread the word for them. You get nothing now, but the faster they reach their goal the faster you get your license. The full price thing is only for people who must have it right now, then they get a rebate when the goal is reached.

Well considering where they are at now, and the fact that it seems this thing apparently just started, I would think the goal is not too far away. Plus I'm sure they don't want to keep (essentially) giving away their software for too long.

• Advanced Member
Having this along with the 3DC AppLink looks like it could be the next best thing to posing in 3C while you paint. Of course many other great benefits as well.

Messiah also has a very nice renderer. It's kind of an industry secret.

Maybe this move will allow Messiah to achieve the critical mass necessary to be more recognized and supported .

Tom

I think it's just a matter of them getting enough folks onboard to meet the goal, and those who paid the $10 or $40 will get the benefit of this unbelievably generous offer.

If the goal is not reached, you get your $ back...

I am sooooo in. :yahoo:

I really would like to have the rigging and posing ability it offers.

$40 Version here I come!!! :drinks:

UPDATE:

Just put in/paid for the $40 Version and am waiting for the Goal to be reached.

I noticed the Goal Bar moved up 1 inch just since today!

Messiah also has a very nice renderer. It's kind of an industry secret.

Maybe this move will allow Messiah to achieve the critical mass necessary to be more recognized and supported .

Tom

I hope so, Messiah is like 3DC, it's a one man show with a few "helpers" here and there. Fori has put much work and love into Messiah. I love using it. I picked up the upgrade to 5 a few days after it was released.

I do agree with your previous post, I too am still a little shocked. I just upgraded my 4 license to 5 in December. The great part is though, that we can get additional licenses (I'm planning for the future), and of course now Fori is selling a Linux/WINE version which I will gladly use, that alone is excellent in and of itself.

I hope so, Messiah is like 3DC, it's a one man show with a few "helpers" here and there. Fori has put much work and love into Messiah. I love using it. I picked up the upgrade to 5 a few days after it was released.

I do agree with your previous post, I too am still a little shocked. I just upgraded my 4 license to 5 in December. The great part is though, that we can get additional licenses (I'm planning for the future), and of course now Fori is selling a Linux/WINE version which I will gladly use, that alone is excellent in and of itself.

Did you miss the note at the bottom of the page "**note: Users who purchased version 5 prior to this special opportunity, may receive a credit or refund of the difference in price between the equivalent version purchased, and this special (less any merchant or other applicable fees); depending on, and if the goal is met."

• Advanced Member

I hope so, Messiah is like 3DC, it's a one man show with a few "helpers" here and there.

yeah, the one area it lacks it really just it's lack of support. If you buy Lightwave and it doesn't do something, you can probably find a plugin that will, but with a small program like Messiah people aren't going to write many plugins till it reaches a certain level. So maybe this will help it achieve that.

I do agree with your previous post, I too am still a little shocked.

well, the reason for my shock is that I paid the full $600.00 for it on Dec 31st because they said the price was going up on the first, then they extended the offer through January, then I go back yesterday and see the same thing for $40.00 :o

So I was kinda pissed off to say the least. I felt like they had deceived me into buying it when I did.

But according to the site, I am going to be refunded the difference . :)

Tom

• Advanced Member
Did you miss the note at the bottom of the page "**note: Users who purchased version 5 prior to this special opportunity, may receive a credit or refund of the difference in price between the equivalent version purchased, and this special (less any merchant or other applicable fees); depending on, and if the goal is met."

One thing I'm wondering about that is whether those people will be given the option to take some of that refund in the form of additional licences if they want. Since I basically already paid the equivalent of 15 pro licenses or 60 basic editions.

Tom

• Reputable Contributor

yeah, the one area it lacks it really just it's lack of support. If you buy Lightwave and it doesn't do something, you can probably find a plugin that will, but with a small program like Messiah people aren't going to write many plugins till it reaches a certain level. So maybe this will help it achieve that.

well, the reason for my shock is that I paid the full $600.00 for it on Dec 31st because they said the price was going up on the first, then they extended the offer through January, then I go back yesterday and see the same thing for $40.00 :o

So I was kinda pissed off to say the least. I felt like they had deceived me into buying it when I did.

But according to the site, I am going to be refunded the difference . :)

Tom

Well...that is always the nature of the beast when buying ANYTHING. You throw down $1500 for a flat screen panel and are convinced you got a bargain. Then 3 months later, you see it on Clearance for $749. What can you do? Go to the manager and scream in his face, waving your fist, demanding a refund? That's what you're saying here with regard to Messiah. If you didn't feel it was worth it, no one forced you to break out the check card/credit card. You thought it was a good enough value when you made the decision.

It's especially generous for him to offer a refund to those who recently upgraded, but even if he didn't, there is no obligation on his part to do so. It wouldn't make him look bad. Obviously this is just a one time deal to get Messiah's name out in the open. That happens every day you go to the grocery store and jump on that unbelievable deal. It's called loss leaders. They take a loss on one thing in order to try and recoup more business elsewhere. Fori deciding to take a loss for one brief occasion is not ripping ANYONE off.

• Reputable Contributor

yeah, ok.... <_<

Tom

$10-$40 is a ridiculous amount for any software with that amount of features and level of maturity. If he does offer a refund for those who recently upgraded or bought a new license, it's an act of generosity....not obligation.

• Advanced Member

I would have to say this is one of the best marketing campaigns I have ever seen, such a brilliant idea. Messiah is spreading throughout every CG forum on the planet (have we missed any :D), I cant imagine those of us who have forked out money missing out on this brilliant offer, otherwise all this good publicity will go down the toilet. I feel this will spark a wave of marketing, just like the buying/investing of software in its Beta stage.

Well done Messiah, excellent strategy I would say.

I would be interested in knowing what their target was, how many copies where they planning on giving away for next to nothing. But one things is for sure, those who end up using and utilising the software in our work-flow will no doubt upgrade to 6 when released.

Of course it doesn't hurt that it's a very good, award winning program. They won't say what the goal is, I emailed them. Although thanks to my email they did change the website to offer a refund in the event that the goal isn't reached.