3DCoat Forums

Screen Rotation feature

cliveb

Hi to all 3d-coaters,

I was thinking that it would be great and useful to be able to rotate the screen of the interface clockwise or anti-clockwise to be able to speed up modelling and painting of a model. I have had times that I would like to be able to quickly rotate my view so I can paint horizontally and then go back to painting or sculpting vertically. I know I can accomplish this with transforming the model, but would it not be quicker being able to rotate the view screen?

regards to all

Clive

• Advanced Member

Hi to all 3d-coaters,

I was thinking that it would be great and useful to be able to rotate the screen of the interface clockwise or anti-clockwise to be able to speed up modelling and painting of a model. I have had times that I would like to be able to quickly rotate my view so I can paint horizontally and then go back to painting or sculpting vertically. I know I can accomplish this with transforming the model, but would it not be quicker being able to rotate the view screen?

regards to all

Clive

I have had this working for a week or so.. I set out on a mission to find a painting app that supported the 3DConnexion Space Pilot Pro.. Photoshop is the only one that supports a 3D mouse but limits navigation to Zoom and Pan.. Turns out, the most brilliant app to handle this is 3DCoat!

Here is how..

1. Set up an alternative 3DConnexion profile Specifically for 3DCoat painting.. In THAT profile, turn off Tilt and Roll while leaving Spin on.. Make sure you put a check in the "reverse Direction" box next to Spin..

2. Open 3Dcoat, go to Edit -> Preferences, scroll down and put a Check in the "Rotate around the Y axis" box.

3. Click File -> New. When the "Choose a tool to start" page pops up, select Microvertext painting (on the Right top) and click the plane (bottom Middle). 1st time Click OK for default options although you can set these to your preferences..

4. Set the Viewport to Orthographic mode.

5. Set the The View to A Top View. Double check that your 3Dmouse is in your new 3DC paint profile..

6. Paint like Superman! Its incredible! You can mix pen stroke action between 3D mouse action for some interesting results.. Depending on the rotation position settings (Set in Camera) you can spin the page while you draw for some pretty cool new levels of control..

problems I have yet to solve:

Sometimes the viewport gets Jerky while spinning. Not sure why but seems to happen less for me in DX.

Exporting the Layers as PSD yields very different color results than Im seeing in 3DC.. For my needs, I just Use 3DC to render the paining out to a flattened image.. I do wonder how One might adjust 3DC so that the image exported looks closer to what is shown in 3DC.

Thanks,

IC

Confirmed. Got the SpacePilot in (cheap from ebay) and after spending some time setting things up and adjusting the sensitivity of the different directions it gives you good control over any panning and rotation (I use it with my left hand and an intuos4 with the right). You might want to look into it as an option for navigation.

• Advanced Member

+1 Vote

Snap to angle with key held would also be great for this if it is added.

I suggested something similar a while back here for pens and the Merge Tool which would also be good -

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6722

Suggestion -

You can use the keyboard keys 9 and 0 to rotate the pens but is no reset shortcut so you have to go to the pen options again, maybe 8 would be be good to quickly reset the rotation.

It would also be nice to have a 45 degree rotate so you hold Ctrl and press 9 or 0 and it rotates in a 45 degree step.

So basically you have continuous rotation when holding a key or hold a key like ctrl + press others to rotate in steps. This has got me thinking it would be great with continuous rotation, if that was added you could switch to a side or top view etc and constantly rotate while sculpting to have similar results to a pottery wheel where you shape the form in voxels. :D

• Advanced Member

I have never used mantis before and i don't have a account but i like this idea so i added it here -

http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=160

It sounds like 3DConnexion Space Pilot Pro can do most of what is suggested but it would be nice to be able to do it simply without one. Hopefully it is welcome there and with the added suggestions i made included also i think this could be a very useful option to enhance 3DC's workflow so hopefully Andrew/the devs will like the idea also.

+1 Vote

Snap to angle with key held would also be great for this if it is added.

I suggested something similar a while back here for pens and the Merge Tool which would also be good -

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6722

So basically you have continuous rotation when holding a key or hold a key like ctrl + press others to rotate in steps. This has got me thinking it would be great with continuous rotation, if that was added you could switch to a side or top view etc and constantly rotate while sculpting to have similar results to a pottery wheel where you shape the form in voxels. :D

By snap to angle with a key held do you mean holding shift while dragging in the viewport? That's how I currently snap to side and top view and such.

• 2 weeks later...