3DCoat Forums

How to import multiple images for masks or textures?

Digital-Antics

I am looking for a way to add folders of masks and images to 3d Coat to use for painting textures but cant for the life of me figure out how. I have searched around a bit and not found anything that helps at all. I am sure this has been addressed before but I cant seem to find out where or how to do it. I am very new to 3D Coat and need some help :P

Thanks,

Geoff

In either the Masks or Materials panels click the small triangle in the corner and in the popup menu pick Add Existing Folder. It also works for Brushes and Strips.

That was what I had originally tried to do but it will not just let me pick a folder to add. When I try to add a folder, I select the folder and click open and all it does is open the folder and show me the images inside of it and does not add the folder at all. Ill attach an image to show what I mean.

v1uh0.png

From the manual:

Add existing folder. Add images from a folder with pictures. A new pens/strips folder with the same name will be created. You should select at least one file in the folder and all files from the folder will be added to list. NOTE: In Folder menu you can switch between folders you have created.

It should automatically generate them, but you could try restarting 3DC (As Administrator might help in Vista or Win7).

No luck with run as admin. When I go to look in the folder in 3DC its just empty. I tried several times but have had no luck at all...

Edit: I am running Win7 x64 on this machine

Well I only see 5 there. For now you could just add them manually, one at a time, until it's fixed. Either through the menu or just by dragging the image onto the program. Though I found out that you need to turn off UAC in Windows to make drag n drop work.

Well I only see 5 there. For now you could just add them manually, one at a time, until it's fixed. Either through the menu or just by dragging the image onto the program. Though I found out that you need to turn off UAC in Windows to make drag n drop work.

That was just one of the folders that I have for my textures. I have them organized by kinds of rust so I have many more that I use. I have just been dragging them in one by one its just sort of bothersome so have to do that for every one that I want to use...thanks for the help though I appreciate it.

• Advanced Member

To be honest i don't like the way 3DC uses custom resources as it can't just add regular folder locations in a normal way and show any sub folders etc.

This mantis suggestion has not had much interest so far but it should probably have been added a long time ago in my opinion -

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=161

Adding materials folders works in correspondence to hint there. There should be some tag - _color, _depth, ....

I improved it a bit - if there is no tag, it will be treated as a color layer.

Masks folder works correctly.

Since I do not have any tags on my image names they should be treated as colour layers then...ok makes sense. I followed the hint that pops up when you go to add an existing folder but still nothing will show up once it is added. It does not create thumbnail images like if I was adding a mask folder...am I still doing something wrong then?

• Reputable Contributor

Since I do not have any tags on my image names they should be treated as colour layers then...ok makes sense. I followed the hint that pops up when you go to add an existing folder but still nothing will show up once it is added. It does not create thumbnail images like if I was adding a mask folder...am I still doing something wrong then?

I've had this problem for the longest time and just gave up trying. I figured out which folder contained the default list of Brush aplhas and copied all my brushes into it. The problem then was that 3DC created a thumbnail file, that meant seeing two copies of every brush in the pallet (waste of space). I could never just point 3DC to the folder and see thumbnails of all images within the folder. I would have to do it one at a time...

Have you updated to the latest version, 3.5.17C?

Have you updated to the latest version, 3.5.17C?

Clearly I was too tired last night when I tried that. I had dl the new version and thought I had installed it but in fact did not and just was using the one I had installed before...my fault. It works now though :) Thanks for the help!